Manchester City has been chasing Kevin De Bruyne for better part of the summer, and reports say that Wolfsburg has accepted a £54 million offer.
De Bruyne has been a huge success at Wolfsburg and City has been working frenetically to get the 24-year-old Belgian international to the Etihad. De Bruyne scored 10 goals and added 21 assists last season in the Bundesliga for Wolfsburg as they finished runners-up in the league. He joined the team in the January transfer window in 2014 and became a key player straight away.
The Guardian reports that Wolfsburg has accepted an offer from City and that the player will travel to England on Thursday for the medical exams. The initial payment is said to be £54 million, but it could rise to £58.5 million through various bonuses.
If the transfer gets completed, it will be the second-highest transfer fee paid by an English club. Cross-town rivals Manchester United currently holds the record with their £59.7 million signing of Angel Di Maria.
De Bruyne has been quiet throughout the whole affair and hasn’t been pushing for a move. His agent Patrick De Koster was cryptic as he spoke to media on Wednesday. He didn’t confirm that an offer had been accepted, but he did hint that an announcement is coming soon.
“I’m having dinner with Kevin at the moment but we have no news,” De Koster said. “We are relaxed about the situation and we will see what happens in the next day or two. Kevin is not desperate to leave Wolfsburg but hopefully there will be a conclusion soon.”