West Ham United striker Diafra Sakho has been arrested by police over the weekend on suspicion of threatening to kill his girlfriend. This comes just days after the player allegedly assaulted the woman.
The Sun reports that the 25-year-old Senegalese forward was questioned by police and then released on bail. Police went to the player’s home in Essex, and picked up Sakho who was already out on bail after he was held on suspicion of assaulting the woman earlier in the month.
A source told The Sun that West Ham is less than pleased with the situation.
“The club has stood by him since his last arrest but they will not be happy about this,” the source said. “It remains to be seen if they will take any action. The fans love him and he certainly knows how to score a goal, but the Hammers don’t need this kind of negative publicity.”
Sakho joined the Hammers last season and had was a success on the pitch, scoring 10 league goals in 23 games. He joined the London side from French second-division side FC Metz. Sakho has played in all the three opening games of the season for West Ham.
Manager Slaven Bilic said after the first arrest on Aug. 6 that the player was fine.
“He looks OK and is not worried. He is still positive and training normally,” Bilic said.
Sakho is now out on bail for the second time, and it remains to be seen if he will feature in the West Ham lineup against Liverpool this weekend.