We are closing in on the homestretch of the transfer window. The clubs have a little bit over a week to make the final touches to their squads. We’ve seen a couple of big signings by some Premier League sides in the past week. Here are some of the latest transfers and rumors from the world of soccer.
Chelsea swept in and completed a deal for Barcelona’s winger Pedro Rodriguez. Pedro was heavily linked with Manchester United for better parts of the summer, and when the Red Devils sold Angel Di Maria to Paris Saint-Germain, it was thought that Pedro would come in and replace him in Manchester.
Instead he ended up in London, signing a four-year deal with the Blues. Jose Mourinho was delighted with his new signing as he spoke to the media ahead of the weekend game against West Bromwich Albion.
“We have got one of the best attacking players in the world, a player with lots of experience and with something that I really like very, very much: the desire to leave a giant club, one of the best clubs in the world, a club that normally when you are there, you don’t want to leave,” Mourinho told The Guardian.
— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) August 20, 2015
Manchester City completed a £32 million move for Nicolas Otamendi from Valencia on Thursday. The 27-year-old Argentine center back will join former Porto teammate Eliaquim Mangala at City, and compete for a spot in the starting lineup next to captain Vincent Kompany.
City only had Kompany, Mangala and veteran Martin Demichelis at centre back, and with a heavy schedule this season, manager Manuel Pellegrini thought it was vital to get another central defender into the squad.
— Manchester City FC (@MCFC) August 20, 2015
Inter Milan could be on the verge of selling two of their wing backs. Gianlucadimarzio.com reports that David Santon and Danilo D’Ambrosio are on their way out from Giuseppe Meazza. Olympique Marseille have reportedly placed an offer for D’Ambrosio, 26, who arrived in Milan in the January transfer window last year.
Crystal Palace is said to be interested in Santon, as manager Alan Pardew had the 24-year-old full back during his time at Newcastle.
Gazzetta Dello Sport reports that Inter wants Real Madrid’s left back Fabio Coentrao. The 27-year-old Portuguese international is reportedly tired of being on the bench at Real Madrid and wants to leave and join Inter. Manager Roberto Mancini is said to want the player and it just remains to see if the Inter owner is willing to pay the price to get Coentrao.
Coentrao has been a part of the setup in Madrid since 2011 when he left Porto for the Spanish capital. Coentrao has only played 55 league games during the four years he’s spent with the Merengues. He has 50 caps for the Portuguese national team.
Manchester United is looking at Atletico Madrid star Antoine Griezmann according to The Daily Star. The 24-year-old French international is said to be the new target after the club lost out to Chelsea in getting Pedro from Barcelona.
Griezmann joined Atletico Madrid last summer after a couple of impressive seasons with Real Sociedad. The forward had a great first season with Atletico, scoring 22 goals in 37 league games. Griezmann’s buyout clause is set at £56 million, so it remains to be seen if United is willing to make another expensive signing before the transfer window closes on Sep. 1.
Bologna has signed Mattia Destro from AS Roma. The 24-year-old striker started his career in the Inter Milan youth system before moving onto Genoa in 2010. After a season with Genoa he spent a year with Siena before joining Roma in 2012. He spent part of last season on loan at AC Milan.
Destro has scored 41 goals in 118 Serie A matches, and has 8 caps for the Italian national team. Bologna won promotion back to the Serie A after one season in Serie B.
— Bologna Fc 1909 (@BfcOfficialPage) August 20, 2015
Juventus has been active this summer, with the Serie A champions both selling and buying. The latest addition to the club is left back Alex Sandro. The 24-year-old Brazilian joins from Portuguese side Porto for a reported €26 million. Sandro has signed a five-year deal with Juve, and has 6 caps for the Brazilian national team.
— JuventusFC (@juventusfc) August 20, 2015